- 4-5 tomatoes (on the vine if possible for extra flavour)
- 3 courgettes
- 1 large or 2 small aubergines
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- a small glass of white wine
- 3 teaspoons of Herbes de Provence
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 jar of red onion chutney (optional but adds a lovely sweet flavour to the dish)
- Preheat the oven at 200°C. Wash the aubergines, slice and add some salt. Wash the tomatoes and courgettes. Slice and put aside.
- Once the oven is at temperature, put some olive oil in baking tray and when hot, lay the aubergine and bake for 15min.
- During that time, slice the onions and fry in olive oil until translucent. Add a tsp of Herbes, seasoning, the white wine and when most of it has evaporated, add the crushed garlic cloves and the jar of red onion chutney.
- Oil your terracotta dish, and start by spreading half of the onion mixture, then arrange the sliced vegetables alternating the layers of aubergines, courgettes and tomatoes, Sprinkle with Herbes de Provence and seasoning and repeat the layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season and bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour (minimum). If you have the time, reduce the heat to 180oc and bake for 1 hour 30min.
This is a dish that is always best re-heated and served the following day. Can be eaten hot or cold. Nothing reminds me more of my lovely Summers in Provence, than this dish served on the terrace with grilled meat and a nice glass of white wine.